Showing posts with label New South Wales. Show all posts
Showing posts with label New South Wales. Show all posts

Monday, November 2, 2015

Extreme Weather - Australia, State of Victoria, [Statewide]




..........
Extreme WeatherAustraliaState of Victoria, [Statewide]Damage levelDetails
..........
Description
Storms along the New South Wales-Victorian border have brought down trees and damaged a number of houses near Strathmerton, the Victorian State Emergency Service (SES) has said. A storm in a line from Tocumwall to north of Seymour has brought down a number of trees south of Shepparton around Kialla and in communities around Cobram and Nathalia. The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) also warned of a severe storm, possibly with large hail, damaging winds and heavy rain near Pakenham, east south-east of Melbourne. The bureau issued an updated severe weather warning for destructive winds, large hail and heavy rainfall for the north east, west and south Gippsland and parts of the central, east Gippsland, northern country and north central forecast districts. Locations affected may include Morwell, Traralgon, Sale, Moe, Bairnsdale and Maffra. "The humidity has been building all week. It's built even further in the last 24 hours," senior forecaster Richard Carlyon said. "[The bad weather] wasn't too widespread yesterday. "But it looks like today, being more unstable, more humid and also a low pressure trough moving through we do have more ingredients available today for a more widespread nature of severe storms." Monday is expected to be much cooler and less humid but, in a fairly unsettled week, the pick of the days is Melbourne Cup day. "It looks as though the cup will be run on a dry day, temperature in the low 20s," Mr Carlyon said. "We should see a fair bit of sun around as well. So [it will be] a fairly pleasant day after an unsettled day [Saturday] and Oaks Day will be wet."
..........

Reports of storm damage in northern Victoria as storms sweep across state

Updated
Storms along the New South Wales-Victorian border have brought down trees and damaged a number of houses near Strathmerton, the Victorian State Emergency Service (SES) has said.

A storm in a line from Tocumwall to north of Seymour has brought down a number of trees south of Shepparton around Kialla and in communities around Cobram and Nathalia

The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) also warned of a severe storm, possibly with large hail, damaging winds and heavy rain near Pakenham, east south-east of Melbourne.

The bureau issued an updated severe weather warning for destructive winds, large hail and heavy rainfall for the north east, west and south Gippsland and parts of the central, east Gippsland, northern country and north central forecast districts.

Locations affected may include Morwell, Traralgon, Sale, Moe, Bairnsdale and Maffra.



Read More Here
..........



Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Extreme Weather Australia State of New South Wales, Sydney


Audience submitted image
..........
 Extreme WeatherAustraliaState of New South Wales, SydneyDamage levelDetails
..........
Description
Emergency crews are working to restore power to about 5,000 homes and businesses after a severe storm swept across Sydney and parts of New South Wales. The storm was forecast to bring heavy rainfall that could lead to flash flooding in parts of the Mid North Coast, Hunter and Central Tablelands. The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) has cancelled its warning for Metropolitan Sydney and the Illawarra. However, a severe thunderstorm warning for damaging winds has been issued for residents in parts of the Hunter, Central Tablelands and far western NSW. A spokesman for Ausgrid said about 5,000 customers in Sydney are without power, with Hurstville among the worst affected areas. Earlier, power was restored to about 10,000 homes around Arncliffe. The spokesman said about 15,000 homes lost power during the height of the storm. Fire and Rescue NSW said firefighters had been kept busy with more than 60 incidents caused by wet weather and lightning strikes. Paramedics were called to Newtown in Sydney's inner west after reports someone was possibly struck by lightning. Police said the person was "conscious and breathing" when the ambulance arrived. The BoM said the lower western district of NSW was likely to be hit with damaging winds. Locations affected might include Wentworth. The State Emergency Service said a number of trees fell in Campbelltown and Bankstown. A strong wind warning is also in place for the Coffs Coast, Macquarie Coast, Hunter Coast and Sydney Coast.
..........
WeatherZone

Crews kept busy restoring power after storm hits Sydney, parts of NSW

Tuesday October 20, 2015 - 23:33 EDT
 
Audience submitted image
Fire and Rescue NSW said firefighters had been kept busy with more than 60 incidents caused by the wet weather and lightning strikes. - Audience submitted
 
Emergency crews have been kept busy restoring power to homes and businesses after a severe storm swept across Sydney and parts of New South Wales.



Late on Tuesday night, the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) issued a severe thunderstorm warning with damaging winds for locations including Broken Hill, Wentworth and Fowlers Gap.
                       

Read More Here
..........

..........

Monday, January 20, 2014

HAZMAT - Australia, State of New South Wales, Cliftleigh

Earth Watch Report  -  Hazmat

  • Firefighters clean up a radioactive spill at a work site in Cliftleigh between Heddon Greta and Testers Hollow on Monday afternoon. Photo by Marina Neil Firefighters clean up a radioactive spill at a work site in Cliftleigh between Heddon Greta and Testers Hollow on Monday afternoon. Photo by Marina Neil
View Additional Photos Here
.....

HAZMAT Australia State of New South Wales, Cliftleigh Damage level Details

.....
Description
A radioactive substance has been released into the soil at a new housing development in Cliftleigh. Six fire crews were called to the housing estate off Main Road at 5.30pm yesterday after a bulldozer ran over a densometer and smashed it and its radioactive substance into the ground. A densometer is a probe used in geotechnical engineering and it had been put in the ground to determine the depth of the soil. Firefighters said the device contained a small radioactive isotope which had broken during the impact from the earth moving machine. Firefighters wore protective gear and used specific equipment to measure the level of radioactive activity in the soil. They then treated the incident using HAZMAT techniques. Police were also called to the incident and set up an exclusion zone around the estate. One resident who witnessed the clean up, but did not want to be identified, said it was concerning that the radioactive substance had entered the soil. She was worried about the impact it would have on the environment. Another resident was worried the substance might have already damaged the soil.

.....
Newcastle Herald


Crushed device raises radiation fear in Cliftleigh



  • Firefighters clean up a radioactive spill at a work site in Cliftleigh between Heddon Greta and Testers Hollow on Monday afternoon. Photo by Marina Neil Firefighters clean up a radioactive spill at a work site in Cliftleigh between Heddon Greta and Testers Hollow on Monday afternoon. Photo by Marina Neil
A RADIOACTIVE substance has been released into the soil at a new housing development in Cliftleigh.
Six fire crews were called to the housing estate off Main Road at 5.30pm yesterday after a bulldozer ran over a densometer and smashed it and its radioactive substance into the ground.
A densometer is a probe used in geotechnical engineering and it had been put in the ground to determine the depth of the soil.
Firefighters said the device contained a small radioactive isotope that had broken during the impact from the earthmoving machine.

Read More Here
.....


,.....
Enhanced by Zemanta

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

NSW bushfires live: emergency warnings in place as weather worsens

Earth Watch Report -  Forest / Wild Fires


....

LiveResidents are warned to take shelter from two new bushfires in the Hunter, and Blue Mountains fires flare up as gusty winds strengthen, temperatures increase and humidity drops


New South Wales (NSW) Rural Fire Service crews protect a property on Bulgamatta Road in the township of Berambing in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, Australia, 22 October 2013
New South Wales Rural Fire Service crews protect a property on Bulgamatta Road in the township of Berambing in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney. Photograph: Dan Himbrechts/EPA

Here are the main points from the latest briefing from RFS NSW Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons. You can watch the briefing in full below.
There are 79 fires burning across the state, 29 uncontained. Three emergency warning alerts are in place, and four "watch and act".
Springwood activity is increasing and the new fire near Dudley is burning towards properties. Fitzsimmons said: “there are plenty of firefighters and fire engines in and around those areas.”
He asked parents not to try and pick up children still at the Redhead school until advised. The kids are safe.
There is a new breakout of fire near Raymond Terrace near Elizabeth Drive. It is burning near the Pacific Highway. It's not posing any immediate threat to property.
The Minmi fire is burning still to the west of the M1 motorway. The road is closed. “There’s still a lot of work to do” before it’s brought under control.
There are no reported significant breakouts in the other fires, although there are fires at the back of people’s homes in some areas.
“We still have a few hours yet of the strong winds and warmer conditions. The winds are expected to continue right through to nightfall and beyond. We are expecting ... that there will be a swing around overnight to a more southerly influence. It will be a dry change though...and we’ll see a dry, cooler day tomorrow with fairly strong southwesterly winds, 40kmph gusting 60-80kmph. Whatever unfolds throughout the afternoon today, there will still be a lot of fire edge that firefighters have to deal with throughout tomorrow, the coming days and coming weeks.”
A report from my colleague Oliver Milman:
What to do when you’re staring down a fierce fire front? Head to the pub, of course.
Jared White, manager of the Royal Springwood Hotel, told Guardian Australia the establishment is acting as a hub for those who have lost property in Springwood, as well as those who are concerned fire is heading their way.
“The town is pretty quiet, people are ready to leave,” he said. “A lot of them are heading here for support and reassurance. There have been heaps of people coming in, every second one of them with a story of losing something or friends who have done so.
 “People aren’t too down. It’s a good community; people support each other. People who have moved out of the area have come back to offer to store things for their friends.”
 White said water-carrying helicopters were circling the town, although the current wind direction is pushing flames away from Springwood.
“I’m not too worried, but it will only take a change of wind for it to be heading our way,” he added
Phil Holding, an RFS group captain for the Southwest Slopes zone, spoke to my colleague Oliver Milman this afternoon. Holding said that fires could continue to burn in parts of the Blue Mountains until the winter.
"I suspect they will keep burning for months," he told Guardian Australia. "They will thicken up the containment lines but further in rough country, given the terrain, I wouldn't be surprised if fires keep blowing up until winter. Unless we have a very wet summer, people will get very tired of it."
The air crane has been sent to the Springwood fire, where flare ups have pushed the fire up to an emergency warning level. Burning embers are being blown towards homes by strong gusty winds.
Roland Clarke lives in Mt Victoria on one of the area's streets hit hardest by the bushfire last week. Clarke told Guardian Australia how he and his neighbours stayed to prepare their homes and fight the fire off, but it came up so quickly that they had to run. His house was one of just a few that did not burn down.
Roland Clarke, pictured inside his living room as bushfires rage outside in Mt Victoria last week.
Roland Clarke, pictured inside his living room as bushfires rage outside in Mt Victoria last week. Photograph: /Roland Clarke
Updated

....


Enhanced by Zemanta

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Sydney bushfires threat eases as seven firefighters treated for injuries

Look back: Bushfire emergency threatens NSW

NewsOnABC NewsOnABC



Published on Sep 10, 2013
About 800 firefighters were deployed to battle fires that destroyed homes and property in Sydney's west. Read more here: http://bit.ly/1aZKFqD
*******************************************************



The Guardian home

Investigation launched into causes of four fires that burned out of control on Tuesday west of Sydney
A firefighter gives instructions near a bushfire
A firefighter gives instructions near a bushfire at the Windsor Downs Nature Reserve, near Sydney Photograph: Daniel Munoz/Reuters
Three of the four major bushfires in Sydney's west have been brought under control with weather conditions easing on Wednesday, as an investigation was launched into what caused the blazes.
Winds reached 50km/h on Tuesday while temperatures were over 30 degrees in parts of Sydney as bushfires which destroyed one house and injured firefighters burnt out of control in western Sydney and in the Blue Mountains.

The fires reached emergency status but were downgraded to "watch and act" on Tuesday morning and to "advice" on Wednesday morning as winds eased and temperatures dropped by about ten degrees.
The firefighters' union used the emergency to attack budget cuts by the NSW state government saying five fire stations were closed because of budget cuts as the bushfires burnt.

Bushfires in Winmalee, Castlereagh and Marsden Park are burning within containments line but on Wednesday morning a bushfire in Richmond was still burning outside of control lines, according to a spokeswoman for the Rural Fire Service.


Read More Here



Enhanced by Zemanta

Monday, July 1, 2013

Extreme Weather - Australia, State of New South Wales, Sydney

Earth Watch Report  -  Extreme  Weather

....
01.07.2013Extreme WeatherAustraliaState of New South Wales, SydneyDamage level Details
....

Extreme Weather in Australia on Monday, 01 July, 2013 at 05:49 (05:49 AM) UTC.

Description
Almost two weeks of heavy rain has wrought chaos across Sydney, causing trees to be uprooted and a landslide and embankment collapse at a train station. No-one was hurt when a concrete wall collapsed across the westbound lane and onto platform 4 at Harris Park Station near Parramatta on Sunday evening, but commuters on Sydney's Western Line were advised to expect delays, particularly during the afternoon peak hour. Pieces of concrete, fencing and trees spilled across the platform and onto the tracks, and could take days to clean up, a Railcorp spokesman told News Ltd. June is traditionally Sydney's wettest month, with 316 millimetres falling this year. While that's more than double the average of 132 millimetres, it's less than half the record 643 millimetres experienced in 1950. Earlier on Sunday, a fig tree collapsed in Hyde Park, reportedly narrowly missing two mothers and their children. Large trees in the park will be inspected on Monday to ensure they don't pose a danger. In Centennial Park over the weekend, a tree fell across the children's bicycle path, blocking the route. Security ranger Jose Rodriguez told AAP no one was around when the tree toppled, and that it would be cleared out of the way on Monday. The flooding was "pretty bad", he said, with bridges underwater in parts of the park as ponds and lakes overflowed, washing out parts of walking trails near the Kensington gates. But if the weather improved the water would recede in two to three days, Mr Rodriguez said.
....

Landslides,  Fallen trees in Sydney wet

Monday, July 01, 2013 » 11:41am
Almost two weeks of heavy rain has wrought chaos across Sydney, causing landslides and disruption.

Almost two weeks of heavy rain has wrought chaos across Sydney, causing landslides and disruption.



Almost two weeks of heavy rain has wrought chaos across Sydney, causing trees to be uprooted and a landslide and embankment collapse at a train station.
No one was hurt when the concrete wall collapsed across the westbound lane and onto platform 4 at Harris Park Station near Parramatta on Sunday evening, but commuters on Sydney's Western Line were advised to expect delays, particularly during the afternoon peak hour.
Pieces of concrete, fencing and trees spilled across the platform and onto the tracks, and could take days to clean up, a Railcorp spokesman told News Ltd.
June is traditionally Sydney's wettest month, with 316 millimetres falling this year.
While that's more than double the average of 132 millimetres, it's less than half the record 643 millimetres experienced in 1950.
Earlier on Sunday, a fig tree collapsed in Hyde Park, reportedly narrowly missing two mothers and their children.
Large trees in the park will be inspected on Monday to ensure they don't pose a danger.
In Centennial Park over the weekend, a tree fell across the children's bicycle path, blocking the route.
Security ranger Jose Rodriguez told AAP no one was around when the tree toppled, and that it would be cleared out of the way on Monday.
The flooding was 'pretty bad', he said, with bridges underwater in parts of the park as ponds and lakes overflowed, washing out parts of walking trails near the Kensington gates.
But if the weather improved the water would recede in two to three days, Mr Rodriguez said.


Read More Here


....
ABC NEWS.net.au

July starts dry for Sydney after heavy rain brings a June drenching

Updated Mon Jul 1, 2013 10:57am AEST
Sydney has recorded its wettest June since 2007 with 316 millimetres falling in city during the last month.
The weather bureau says about 100 millimetres fell in the eastern parts of the city over the weekend, while Penrith recorded about 25 millimetres.
But the downpours have come to an abrupt end today, with sun forecast for the rest of the week.
The wet weather caused a raft of problems including water on roads as well as leaking roofs and fallen trees.
A second tree in Sydney's Hyde Park will be turned to woodchips today after it was deemed unsafe.
A large fig tree in the park came crashing down on Sunday, narrowly missing two mothers and their children, prompting an urgent inspection this morning.
City of Sydney spokesman Gary Harding says the trees are checked regularly for safety concerns but the soggy weather had made the ground unsteady.
"All the rain that we've had we believe that's probably contributed to the tree falling over," he said.
"There will always be an element of risk with any tree but that's the price you pay for having trees in parks and people love them and we need them."
Meanwhile, passengers on Sydney's western rail line are being advised to check the timetable and allow extra travel time due to a wall collapse at Harris Park station.
The wall collapsed at the station at about 6:00pm yesterday and debris fell onto the platform and four rail lines.


Read More Here
....
Enhanced by Zemanta